Robert L. Capers
Rob is also an integral part of the firm’s Business Compliance & Integrity Monitorships team that regularly advises major corporations on governance best-practices; conducts high-profile internal investigations; counsels Boards of Directors; creates world-class compliance programs; and represents individuals and corporations with matters before Main Justice and US Attorney Offices around the country.
Rob has served as a prosecutor for over two decades, beginning his career in 1996 at the New York County District Attorney’s Office under the legendary Robert M. Morgenthau.
In 2003, Rob joined the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, where as a line and supervisory prosecutor he led a number of complex investigations and prosecutions involving a wide range of crimes, such as racketeering, international money laundering, and public corruption.
He also tried and second-chaired to verdict more than two dozen criminal trials, including serving as co-lead counsel on the jury trial and conviction of a then sitting New York State Assemblyman for engaging in complex bribery and extortion schemes and the theft of government funds, which resulted in the longest sentence for a sitting New York State politician in recent history.
Rob’s character, stellar career as a prosecutor, and commitment to public service brought him to the attention of President Barack Obama, who nominated Rob in October 2015 to serve as the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York. He was then confirmed by the US Senate in December 2015.
During his tenure as United States Attorney, Rob gained international recognition for headline grabbing work that included: overseeing the extradition of Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, the head of the Sinaloa Cartel; obtaining the indictments and extraditions of nearly 30 FIFA officials; bringing groundbreaking FCPA investigations, including the investigation of a large Brazilian construction conglomerate and a Brazilian petrochemical company for engaging in a massive-in-scale bribery scheme involving government officials around the world; the investigation of a major US financial institution for its corrupt hiring practices in the Asia-Pacific region and the investigation of a US hedge fund for corrupt hiring practices in Africa; and overseeing the agreement by a large German bank to pay a record fine for misleading investors in its sale of residential mortgage-backed securities, which contributed to the 2008 financial collapse in the US.
- Charter Member, Sterling Johnson, Jr. Local Chapter, National Black Prosecutor’s Association, 2007 - 2017
- Member, National Black Prosecutors Association, 2006 - March 2017
- Life Member, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Rob’s honors and awards include:
- 2014 Assistant Attorney General Exceptional Service Award
- Federal Drug Agents Foundation: 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award
- Manhattan District Attorney’s Association: 2016 Achievement Award
- Queens District Attorney’s Office: 2017 William Tucker Garvin Public Service Award
His recent notable speaking engagements include:
- The Police Athletic League - Luncheon Keynote Speaker - February 24, 2017
- American Bar Association White Collar Committee - Keynote Speaker - January 5, 2017
- The New York City Bar Association White Collar Crime Institute - Keynote Speaker - May 10, 2016
- The New York City Department of Investigation Anti-Corruption Conference - Keynote Speaker - May 6, 2016
- The New York Law School City Law Breakfast Series: Keynote Speaker - April 29, 2016
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York Bar
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
Albany Law SchoolJDNew York UniversityBA