Lynn R. Fiorentino
Lynn represents clients in the defense of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, Clean Water Act, and antitrust laws. She also defends students in Title IX university disciplinary matters with parallel criminal proceedings. In the civil arena, Lynn defends clients in cases involving alleged theft of trade secrets, violations of Business & Professions Code Section 17200, Proposition 65, financial fraud, and labor & employment matters. She has extensive experience defending business organizations, employees, and witnesses in government investigations, as well as representing corporations in multi-party civil cases and class action matters. Lynn’s broad experience includes conducting witness interviews in white collar matters, governmental investigations, and class actions; interfacing with state and federal prosecutors; drafting pretrial motions and discovery; arguing motions in state and federal court; and taking and defending depositions of plaintiffs, fact witnesses, corporate representatives, and expert witnesses. In addition, Lynn routinely counsels corporate clients to develop and enhance compliance to meet stringent state and local laws. Lynn has criminal and civil trial experience in both state and federal court.
Some of Lynn’s notable representative matters include:
- Defending two physicians groups and a management services organization in an investigation brought by the Federal Trade Commission alleging antitrust violations resulting in no enforcement.
- Representing a pool of employees of a global biotechnology company in an international investigation of the company by the Securities & Exchange Commission and Department of Justice for alleged FCPA violations.
- Leading an internal investigation and managing outside counsel defending employees of global metal recycling corporation during criminal prosecutions arising from alleged metal theft. Representation included interfacing with local prosecutors during criminal proceedings and subsequent Business & Professions Code Section 17200 investigations.
- Successfully representing a medical malpractice insurance carrier in investigation by the Department of Justice for alleged computer invasion of competitor’s secured website; interviewing senior management and high level officers; working with a forensic computer expert to gather and analyze computerized data in defense of claims; and presenting an attorneys’ proffer to the government which resulted in exoneration of the client.
- Representing several foreign material witnesses during a prolonged governmental investigation for alleged Clean Water Act violations from highly publicized maritime accident.
- Member of a trial team achieving a defense verdict in a three-month, multi-million dollar product liability case defending a major American automobile manufacturer and obtaining an order requiring the plaintiff to pay the client over $100,000 in litigation costs.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a major oil refining corporation in a complex premises liability case in the face of a $750,000 demand.
- Mediating and negotiating a favorable settlement for a global oil company in a multi-million dollar environmental contamination case brought by municipality.
- Representing indigent clients for local Legal Aid Society in securing guardianship petitions for young children and domestic violence restraining orders for victims of domestic abuse.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Lynn was an associate at an international law firm, where she practiced in the Government Investigations & White Collar Defense group. Lynn also spent eight weeks conducting jury trials at the Marin County District Attorney’s office as part of a trial externship program with her prior firm.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Lynn worked for a global pharmaceutical company selling medications to treat diabetes and congestive heart failure.
“Transforming Tort Liability Into Criminal Liability,” Products Liability Law 360, June 2009
- California State Bar Association, Member, Litigation and Criminal Justice Sections
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, Bay Area Women's White Collar Criminal Defense Attorneys Group
Bar & Court Admissions
- California Bar
- US District Court, Central District of California
- US District Court, Northern District of California
- US District Court, Southern District of California
University of California, Hastings College of the LawJDmagna cum laude2003University of California, Santa BarbaraBA1991