Jason advises clients on compliance with federal and state privacy laws governing the collection, use, retention, and disclosure of private, or otherwise sensitive information. He has experience providing transactional support to clients, negotiating technology-related agreements, defending clients in data privacy-related government investigations and enforcement actions, and representing clients in all areas of motion practice civil litigation.
Jason is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and holds the CIPP/US certification (Certified Information Privacy Professional / US concentration), making him well-versed in the data privacy laws that govern the private sector in the United States.
*Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Admitted in Maryland and Virginia only. Practicing under supervision of Firm principals.
Prior to joining Arent Fox, Jason was an attorney at mid-sized law firm, where he led their Data Privacy and Cybersecurity practice and managed all areas of data privacy and cybersecurity compliance at a state and federal level. He also served as a law clerk at a financial consulting and risk management firm, where he drafted and negotiated commercial transactions and gained experience with Data Security and Information Technology litigation implicating HIPAA, HITECH, and EU Safe Harbor Laws. While in law school, Jason clerked for a boutique employment law firm and a larger litigation firm where he gained substantial experience with discovery collection and drafting complaints, motions, briefs, and discovery documents for Title VII, FMLA, and ADA litigation.
Publications, Presentations & Recognitions
Jason speaks and writes frequently regarding issues affecting privacy and cybersecurity law. His articles and presentations include:
- "ReadyTech And The Future Of The Privacy Shield," Law360; August 6, 2018
- "#DeleteFacebook Movement Gathers Steam," TechNewsWorld; March 21, 2018
- "Venmo: The Battle Between App Usability And Compliance," Law360; March 16, 2018
- "What To Watch As High Court Takes On Microsoft Warrant Row," Law360; February 23, 2018
- "The Legal Reality of Social Media IP: Who Owns What?," IPWatchDog.com; February 1, 2018
Bar & Court Admissions
- Virginia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court, District of Maryland
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State UniversityBSGeorge Mason UniversityJD